THESE MEN MAY HAVE SAVED OUR REPUBLIC
(2) Abubakar Sani Bello – Niger State
(3) Abdullahi A. Sule – Nasarawa State
(4) B.G. Umara Zulum – Borno State
(5) Nasir Ahmad El-Rufai – Kaduna State
(6) Muhammad Inuwa Yahaya – Gombe State
(7) Bello M. Matawalle – Zamfara State
(8) Simon Bako Lalong – Plateau State
(9) Aliyu Wamakko – Sokoto State (Former)
(10) A.U. Ganduje – Kano State
(11) Abubakar Atiku Bagudu – Kebbi State
Putting their own political careers on the line, and against the advice of their fellow northerners, these APC Northern Governors insisted that it is the turn of the South to produce the next President of the Federal Republic of Nigeria.
These patriots fought hard to ensure that there is equity, fairness, and justice in the democratic process. They are the honorable me who signed the communique calling on their party delegates to vote for a presidential candidate from the South.
Their action may not seem much to many Nigerians, and the weightiness of their effort may not even move the needle on the scale of political issues that the country is confronted with, but these men – these descendants of Fulanis and Hausas – may have saved our Republic. They have restored some measure of optimism in the hearts and minds of many whose faith in the Nigeria experiment has waned.
Whatever the outcome of the APC primaries this evening, or the subsequent presidential election to follow in 2023, these Northern Governors are the heroes of this election season in my book. As it is written in the Holy Book, “The memory of the just is blessed,” when the history of these times is written, these men will be remembered with fondness and warmth.
Thank you, for showing us what it means to be a true patriot.